Saturday, September 1, 2007

Untitled Documentary....a slow process



As some of you may know I am working on a documentary about the urgent need for young African Americans to know more about their culture and the story of Owen Sound Canada and the descendants of run away slaves who have settled there (for those of you who don't know this town is the northern most point of the underground railroad). I have just logged about 10 hours of footage and I am certain that I am not done interviewing in the least. The hardest part is just to sit down and start sifting through everything. I have to tell you though for a few days I have been taken back about the amount of work that is laying ahead of me. It's a bit daunting. But as the African proverb says: "how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." So today I have started to look at the first tape shot by Kelly at her old apartment (picture above). She is the catalyst that has started me on this journey. For the longest time I have been struggling as to what I am going to talk about. I mean I am not the first Black person to tackle this subject and I know I am not going to be the last. But what I hope to gain personally is to give another prospective to our country's biggest problem, and that is learning to live together as Americans and to help redifine the African American dream. And that ladies and gents is the question I am posing to myself, being a person of colour and to other people of the African diaspora.

Lj

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please, please don't eat any elephants. And good luck with the film.

Sheldon said...

Very interesting subject matter, I wish you the best in getting this project done, and would be very interested in seeing the Doco when released, as there is much about this subject and it's people I really dont know much about.