Thursday, December 20, 2007

It's been a long time coming, but persistence pays off


As I'm sitting here at my computer listening to the new Becky Schlegel cd that my wife got, it dawned on me that it's been awhile since my last entry. Especially since I promised an entry about my favorite topic superheros. Ya know I'd like to say that since it's highly possible that we might just have a Black presidential candidate in the months to come that we should take this time to focus on our American myths and that is...the graphic novel. As a kid this is all I could ever think about as I sat on my swing set with my latest issue of Superboy or Flash Gordon (enter ahh ahhh here) on my big Buddha belly and daydreamed that I could be those people leading heroic lives. Not once would I ever think that because of the color of my skin would I never be able to do all of those things. Fast forward a few years to when milestone comics made their debut and offering something new to the market place it was refreshing to see heroes that looked like me. Even during the death of Superman when Steel came about was I like wow this is cool. So as I look back at all of these things I have come to this conclusion: as an American it is vital that we keep our myths and legends alive. It gives us our strength, hope and something to gage ourselves as we tackle everyday obstacles. It is even more important that an American of color, who has been bombarded with images that does not look like him or her, have something just as important and great to look up to in order to have that same feeling of being the next great hero. Just a thought.

No comments: